Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Cologne

I made a promise to visit my Iraqi friend in Cologne/Koln after I missed his wedding there last august 08. Lucky enough to discover a reasonable fare offered by Germanwings, I finally landed in this one of the oldest cities in Germany (founded by the Romans in 38 BC) on 15 Nov 08. Despite all the famous historical sites and the cultural centres, this trip was nothing more than a party frenzy for me. Thanks to Kramer for taking me around despite your not-so-well health condition. Thanks also to Brandon for taking the trip all the way from Bucharest just to spend the weekend here with me. Though you can be pain in the !@#(* sometimes, you are such a good company. Whatever happened in Koln, ended in Koln. Above: We took the tram and walked pretty far in the cold just to get to this scenic view of Koln. It was worth it. Koln is basically famous for its Cathedral a.k.a Dome. The cathedral is a World Heritage site and is one of the world's largest churches Because of its enormous twin spires, it also presents the largest facade of any church in the world. The construction began in 1248 and took over six hundred years to complete, until 1880. It is 144.5 metres long, 86.5 m wide and its two towers are 157 m tall.
I will definitely return to Koln.

2 comments:

  1. wow... huge improvement within days of blogging... what Camera did you use, because the quality of the picture is kinda nice especially the night shot. We do need a pair of hand to help us with the cameraworks *wink* *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  2. My visit to Koln was back in Spring, 1997 .. was really impressed with the architecture of the cathedral.. Too bad, photography not allowed inside ..

    ReplyDelete